Posts by admin

John Knight.DUDLEY residents who have been isolated for days with no mobile phone reception are angry Optus failed to notify them of a planned outage.
Nanjing Night Net

Optus said the Dudley tower had been switched off between February 25 and March 1 during an upgrade to bring stronger 4G coverage to the area.

A spokesperson from Optus told the Newcastle Herald it ‘‘contacts customers to let them know when their service may be affected, and what they can do to stay connected’’.

During this time,with no, or very little service, including three days in which only emergency calls could be made, numerous residents said ‘‘no one was notified’’.

Ross Partridge, a self employed electrician who runs his business from home, said he called Optus last Thursday and was told there would be no reception for a week.

’’When you’re running a business, it’s a joke,’’ Mr Partridge said.

‘‘It’s a planned outage and they’ve not given anyone any notification … it’s an essential service like electricity, you can’t just do that.’’

Dudley corner store owner said elderly customers had been confused and thought their own phones were at fault.

Oceanview Hotel publican John Knight who relies ‘‘massively’’ on his mobile to book the hotels’ entertainment said it was a ‘‘disgrace’’.

‘‘It’s a shut down … and we were not notified at all,’’

An Optus spokesperson said a text was sent on February 19 checking to all customers whose billing addresses indicated their service would be affected by the upgrade work.

Optus said an unrelated transmission issue was discovered at Dudley tower on March 3.

‘‘Optus technicians are on site working to fully restore mobile services as a priority…we appreciate customers’ patience and apologise for any recent service interruptions’’ a spokesperson said.

AARON ROYLEOLYMPIC dreams will be pushed firmly to the back of Aaron Royle’s mind as he focuses on a more immediate reality – the season-opening International Triathlon Union world series race in Abu Dhabi on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

The short-course showdown is the first of 10 world series races Royle plans to contest this year, but his ultimate challenge will be a separate Olympic test event to be held on the same course as the Rio 2016 Games in August.

That race will provide a chance to qualify for next year’s Olympics. Finishing as the top-placed Australian, and inside the first 10, will secure automatic qualification.

Royle, the 25-year-old from Maryland, said it was important not to be distracted from the task at hand.

‘‘It’s all about producing my best performance and worrying about the processes, rather than the outcome,’’ he told the Newcastle Herald.

‘‘We won’t be talking about finishing top10. It’s all about focusing on doing our best and hopefully the byproduct will be selection.

‘‘But of course I’m thinking about Rio. I started thinking about Rio four years ago.

‘‘But there’s other races I need to perform in before then, so I’m just aiming to do my best in each race along the way.’’

Royle, who was 10th on last year’s world rankings, had no qualms about Olympic selection riding on a one-off race, rather than consistency over the course of a long season.

‘‘That’s what the Olympics is,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s one race and it’s about who can step up on that day and perform in a pressure scenario.

‘‘It is quite different racing throughout a series rather than just target a big race.

‘‘The Olympics is a once-in-every-four-years chance, and you have to do it on that day.’’

After a successful 2014, in which he placed third in the opening race of the ITU season, collected a team bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games, and scored a hat-trick of second-tier race wins in Las Vegas, Noosa and Nepean, Royle was hoping to use that as a springboard to bigger and better things.

‘‘If I could finish in the top eight in Abu Dhabi it would be a good start,’’ he said.

Gnotuk State School, circa 1917-20, with headmaster Gerard Reidy first on the right.BEFORE Gnotuk Primary School’s closure more than two decades ago it was the heart of the farming community just west of Camperdown.
Nanjing Night Net

The school opened in 1902 and a year later reached its peak, its intake of pupils reaching 131.

On Saturday, former pupils and staff will come together to share memories of a close-knit school community.

A time capsule of stories from children who attended the school in the late 1970s will also be opened.

Former student Joanne Cook, one of the organisers of the reunion, said the school would average between 50 and 64 children before its closure in 1993.

The school, now demolished, overlooked Lake Gnotuk and each year there would be school picnics and sports days with the other local schools including Bookaar, Chocolyn, Talindert and Tesbury.

“We had a beautiful timber playground with a fort and climbing equipment and the views were spectacular,” she said.

She said school plays were always a big occasion and the hall would be filled with parents.

Mrs Cook was one of the children who put work in the time capsule and said from what she could remember it was a story about what they were going to be when they grew up.

She said Nancy Fowler was the longest-serving teacher, starting when Mrs Cook’s mother was at the school in 1955. Mrs Fowler, nee Quick, left for 13 years to raise her own children and then returned in the 1970s until she retired in 1990.

The reunion will be held at the Camperdown Guide Hall in Manifold Street from 2pm. Those attending have been asked to bring a plate and a gold coin donation will go towards hiring the hall.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

DANIEL MULLEN DANIEL Mullen is back where he feels most comfortable.
Nanjing Night Net

Deployed mostly as a right fullback at Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne Victory, Mullen has settled in the heart of the Jets defence.

In partnership with Taylor Regan, the 25-year-old has helped right a ship that had leaked a whopping 35 goals in 15 games when he was signed from Western Sydney.

‘‘I love playing centre back,’’ Mullen said in between training sessions on Tuesday. ‘‘That was one of the main reasons I wasn’t so happy before.

‘‘Playing at right back is all well and good, but when you have a body like mine, it is hard to be mobile and agile.’’

Mullen’s arrival followed the mass sacking of senior players, including central defenders Kew Jaliens and Adrian Madaschi.

Since the shambolic 7-0 defeat to Adelaide, which was the tipping point for a failed player coup against coach Phil Stubbins, the Jets have conceded five goals in four outings.

‘‘It’s hard for me to say what the difference has been because I have only been here a few weeks,’’ Mullen said.

‘‘Since I have come in we have worked really well together and been defending as a unit, starting from the front.’’

Next up is a rampant Sydney FC side at Hunter Stadium on Friday night.

‘‘In the past couple of games they have got some cohesion back and are looking pretty dangerous,’’ Mullen said. ‘‘We will have to be on our toes.’’

Sydney have exploded into form with 19 goals in five games. Towering Austrian striker Marc Janko has contributed eight of them.

‘‘When you come up against teams with that sort of quality, they will test you, certainly a lot more than we have in the past couple of weeks,’’ Mullen said.

‘‘You look at Janko. He is very confident at the moment and starting to play some really good football. It will be something different, too, obviously, with his height.’’

Standing 1.96m, Janko is the tallest skyscraper in the league and has 10cm on Mullen and Regan. But, as he showed with his brace against Wanderers, the marquee has quick feet and is potent on the ground.

‘‘They are a good team because they have quite a few options,’’ Mullen said.

‘‘They can play the long ball and work off Janko, but they can also play little combinations in and around the box.’’

Daniel Mullen playing against the Central Coast Mariners on Saturday.

Sydney also have former golden boot Shane Smeltz, former Socceroos regular Alex Brosque and rising star Bernie Ibini in their attacking arsenal.

‘‘Sydney have a tremendous forward line,’’ said Jets midfielder Ben Kantarovski, who returns from suspension with Sydney-bound Andrew Hoole.

‘‘They have Terry Antonis and Bernie Ibini in midfield as well, who are threats going forward. We have to make sure we close Antonis down early and not give him too much time. That is key for all their midfielders.

‘‘They are pretty good on the ball. We have to make sure we get on them early with our pressure and block the passing lanes in behind.’’

Kantarovski is confident the Jets can cause the visitors some problems of their own.

‘‘Sydney have had some good results in the past couple of weeks, but they also have some weaknesses which we are going to try and exploit,’’ he said. ‘‘They have a few injuries and suspensions, especially in their back line.’’

Hoole played striker in a shape drill at training on Tuesday in a sign that Stubbins may be considering a tweak in personnel.

Jaiden Marcus Schneebeli, 21, of Rodgers Place, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to multiple counts of drink-driving, careless driving and unlicensed driving. AN unlicensed Bushfield driver who twice crashed after drinking alcohol has been placed on a community corrections order.
Nanjing Night Net

Jaiden Marcus Schneebeli, 21, of Rodgers Place, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to multiple counts of drink-driving, careless driving and unlicensed driving.

His licence had been disqualified after he was caught hooning behind the wheel.

Schneebeli was also previously jailed on drug offences and had a four-month suspended jail sentence hanging over his head.

Police said that on July 2 last year Schneebeli went to a pool tournament at a Warrnambool pool hall, where he drank alcohol, and at 4.30am drove his mother’s Mitsubishi Lancer home.

At 4.45am Schneebeli turned into Rodgers Place, lost control and stuck two small trees on the opposite side of the road.

He walked the 100 metres to his home and called police. When officers arrived he was drinking a stubbie.

A blood sample taken from Schneebeli returned a reading of .129.

An expert said the driver had to consume five cans of beer to get to that reading.

At 1.50am on August 31 Schneebeli drove from Bushfield to Warrnambool in his white Holden Commodore stationwagon and then south down Banyan Street.

The court was told he looked up after reading a phone credit receipt to find he was headed directly at a parked car, which he crashed into, pushing it into another parked car.

Police checks revealed Schneebeli was still unlicensed. He recorded a blood-alcohol reading of .029.

Schneebeli told police that when he looked up he could not avoid a collision.

Magistrate Peter Mellas said there was a good reason Schneebeli did not have a driver’s licence — he was “a crap drivRer”.

Schneebeli will now not be able to apply for a driver’s licence for another 12 months.

Mr Mellas said it was clear Schneebeli had a problem with alcohol and it was time he did something about it.

He noted Schneebeli had made significant changes and improvements to his life.

Schneebeli was convicted, fined $1000 and placed on a CCO for 12 months with conditions he undertake treatment for alcohol issues and programs to reduce the chances of reoffending.

No action was taken in relation to the suspended jail sentence, which will continue until the end of this year.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

PEOPLE interested in having a say on the future of the south-west coastline are invited to a meeting in Warrnambool tomorrow.
Nanjing Night Net

The Western Coastal Board is holding a forum to outline its draft plan for the region and seek community feedback.

Chaired by Moyne Shire councillor Jill Parker, the board has eight members, including south-west tourism administrator Carole Reid and Professor John Sherwood from Deakin University in Warrnambool. The draft plan was released for public comment last month and submissions close on March 20.

Cr Parker said the public meeting, at Proudfoots on the River from 6pm, would be a good chance to present information and get feedback.

“There will be a presentation on what the draft plan is about but the main thing is we will be there to listen and not preach,” Cr Parker said.

“We would love to hear from groups or organisations with an interest as well as individuals who use the coast.

“The long-term aim of the final plan is to create a document that is a guideline for how we best use and look after our coastline. There have been smaller local-level plans done before but this is the first big regional plan so it does bring some challenges with it.

To comment on the draft plan, email [email protected] or write to PO Box 103, Geelong, 3220. The draft plan can be viewed online at www.wcb.vic.gov.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

NEAR MISS: Mitch Cooper unleashes his shot against the bar against the Mariners on Saturday. Picture: Ryan OslandMITCH Cooper opened his A-League scoring account in just his second game.It seems an eternity ago.
Nanjing Night Net

Then aged 17, Cooper scored for Gold Coast United against the Central Coast Mariners at Skilled Stadium on February 22, 2012.

Three years – and two knee reconstructions – later the now Jets attacker is still waiting for his second.

He came within a blade of grass of ending the drought against the Mariners on Saturday when a right-foot shot hit the bar and angled down onto the turf, catching the inside edge of the chalk before being cleaned up by keeper Liam Reddy.

Cooper’s close call sparked debate over video technology and occurred on the same weekend that a FIFA rules committee put off a trial of video reviews for contentious decisions for at least a year.

‘‘I did think it was in and celebrated a bit early,’’ Cooper told the Herald.

‘‘I didn’t want to look back at the linesman. I was hoping to hear the whistle. At the end of the day it wasn’t a goal.’’

Rather than curse his bad luck, Cooper said the near miss had made him hungrier.

‘‘I am just going to back myself,’’ he said. ‘‘I have been making the runs and getting closer and closer.

‘‘A player in my position, it is important to score goals.

‘‘That is a key factor I have to focus on. I am getting in good positions. I just have to finish off. Hopefully next week, if I get an opportunity, luck might go the other way.’’

In his eighth appearance and third start since returning from a second ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, Cooper was deployed in central midfield in the derby.

Although ‘‘happy to play anywhere’’, the 20-year-old believed he was better suited closer to the action.

‘‘I can play out wide, but I feel like I can impact the game a bit more in the middle,’’ Cooper said. ‘‘I like to get between the lines and turn, get in positions where I can shoot. Playing centrally gives me more flexibility.

‘‘That was my first solid 70 minutes. My fitness levels are getting better.

‘‘The more game time I get, my body will catch up.

‘‘Hopefully I can start again [against Sydney] and build on last week.’’

Apart from ending a goal drought, Cooper hopes to do enough to earn a new contract at the Jets.

‘‘I want to stay here and give something back to the fans,’’ Cooper said. ‘‘I have been missing for two seasons. To be back on the stage at Hunter Stadium is what I want.’’

Cooper has a firm backer in Jets assistant and former youth coach James Pascoe.

‘‘Unfortunately for Mitch his injury history is well documented,’’ Pascoe said.

‘‘That has meant he has spent a little bit more time in the youth team than his talent deserves.

‘‘People got a bit of a glimpse on the weekend what that boy is capable of. He just needs a little bit of luck with his body, a run of games and I think that first goal and assist will see him take off.’’

AAP reports: Goals may be their focus but defence is the key to Brisbane Roar rekindling their Asian Champions League campaign against the Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan on Wednesday night.

Roar coach Frans Thijssen has made no bones about the fact that they must come out firing against the powerhouse Japanese club, especially after losing 1-0 at home last week to a 10-man Beijing Guoan in their ACL opener.

And the portents are good for the reigning A-League champions.

The Roar have scored nine goals in their past four A-League games. But Thijssen admits all eyes will be on his back four at Saitama Stadium on Wednesday night.

‘‘They will continually try and get behind us. We will have to be disciplined and not let their attackers get too much room,’’ Thijssen said.

Veteran defender Shane Stefanutto will replace Jerome Polenz, who did not travel due to visa player restrictions

JERRIL Rechter (Letters, March 2) is unhappy that Australia’s “gender gap” is too wide.
Nanjing Night Net

Recent Australian Bureau of Statistics figures show the pay gap is 18.8 percent.

What should it be?

“Zero gap”, say gender-theory ideologues.

“100 per cent gap”, say others who think fathers should earn and mothers should mother (at home).

What do our children want?

A friend working in child-care is alarmed when the inmates call her “mummy”.

What do they call their working mothers?

I wasn’t told that.

Let’s agree men and women are equal – equal in human dignity. But identical?

Identical in the sense of women imitating men all day in the workplace? No, please.

Not every social role is equally suited to men and women …

What to do about it?

Hard to say.

Perhaps we need a very different society.

Arnold Jago,

Nichols Point

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

MAYBE it was a good omen.
Nanjing Night Net

Warrnambool City Council could learn a valuable lesson from a magpie that flew around the civic chamber on Monday night just as the meeting came to a close.

It was in a confused flap going around and around in circles, but managed to find its way out of the dilemma with a little help from someone in the gallery.

The big question is will the same thing happen at last for the city’s seven councillors?

The hapless bird flew into the room just after a tense debate triggered by one councillor’s call for the mayor to work harder at healing rifts.

At times it resembled a verbal boxing match, with punches and counter punches thrown across the room, sometimes directed very personally.

But in the end they unanimously voted for a beefed-up set of guidelines which cover conduct, performance and basic principles on what a councillor’s role entails.

We can only hope it represents a peaceful new chapter for the council team spirit which, ratepayers know, has been hard to come by on some issues.

In the past few years an estimated $250,000 has been spent on investigations and special hearings triggered by dozens of complaints by some councillors against colleagues and staff.

Most of these proved to be frivolous, adding nothing to efforts to foster harmony.

Mayor Michael Neoh wisely challenged all councillors to sign the code of conduct and for their actions to match their words in seeking harmony.

It’s a small point but in the interests of mutual respect, it would also help if the time-honoured practice of all seven councillors attending a friendly meal after monthly briefings were to be resumed rather than them going separate ways.

Warrnambool’s image has taken a battering and there have been suggestions that investment in the city has dried up because of the unstable nature of council decision-making.

Ratepayers will be hoping Monday night’s clear-the-air session will fly.

Just like the magpie.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.